Arranging on a C Major Scale
Center Middle School
Computer Audacity software
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Basics of using Audacity
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME 2014: Creating
NAfME Standards of 1994: Evaluating music and music performances.
NAfME 2014: Responding
Audacity Free Digital Audio Editor
Headphones or Speakers
Students will use Audacity to create an original composition from a wav file of a C Major scale.
Students will demonstrate knowledge of Audacity by arranging the scale or parts of the scale.
Students will use the effects option to create new pitches and sounds.
Students must use at least 4 different pitches and 4 different effects.
1. Create a wav file of a C scale by recording a C scale into Audacity from a keyboard and save by exporting as a wav.
2. This wav file can then be copied and place on each students computer or on a server where students will have access to the file.
3. The C scale may also be produced in a notation software program without a keyboard and then exported as a wav or sent out as a midi file and then converted by I tunes to a wav.
4. Students will retrieve from a server location or find within their computer the C Scale wav file for Audacity that was created by the teacher.
5. Students double click the file and the selection will open in Audacity.
6. Edit the original to create a new composition using previous skills on how to use Audacity.
7. Time limit should be predetermined so students work towards completing the minimum requirements on time.
8. Students may spend a lot of time creating effects once they become proficient in Audacity.
5 Created an interesting composition with ABA form and exceeded minimum requirements and effect enhancement.
4 Used effects and then enhanced the effects again to create additional interest and expectation.
3 Minimum notes and effects with some creativity
2 Did not meet note requirement.
1 Did not meet note & effects minimum requirements
More time for students to add different effects.
Take same scale and create a new piece.
Choose only certain notes.
Set parameters on which effects can be used