Beat has Poetry
Leicester Public Schools
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Electronic Musical Instruments
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Each student has previously written a poem.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 1: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 3: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
MENC 8: Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
A written simple poem.
Keyboard with a rhythm loop.
The students will be able to integrate their original poetry into a rhythm track. The student will select from a list of rhythms into which they will blend their poetry utilizing the stess of the words in poetic meter and presenting their poem within the rhythm track.
1. The classroom teacher encourages and guides the students in creating their poems.
2. The music teacher presents three rhythm tracks.
3. The students choose one track that best fits their poem.
3. The students practice their poems with the rhythm track they have chosen.
4. The students present their poem in meter with their chosen track.
They will be evaluated on:
Reciting the poem in a rhythmic manner,
Staying with the beat.
The students will compose a rhythm to fit their poem.