Beginning four part dictation
Pen Argyl High School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Finale 2007/ or Note Pad 2007
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students should be able to dictate simple rhythmic and melodic example= s
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 4: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
= MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing an= d describing music.
Students will be able to transcribe a four-part chorale one voice = at a time. Students will hear each voice separately. At the end of the ac= tivity students will compile all of the voices into one chorale.
Introduce lesson =96
– Four part dictation building on the melodic = dictation we have been doing
– Listen to each voice part then transcri= be them
– Enter the voice part on the staff provided with either simpl= e or speedy entry
Review entry skills-
– Simple entry
– Spee= dy entry
Review guidelines for melodic dictation-
– Listen to t= he whole example
– Find the rhythm
– Find one measure at a time
Allow students to work individually-
– Help Students as they need = it
When students have finished
– Ask them to print out their tr= anscriptions
– Ask students to combine all four voices on the First Pa= ge
– Ask students to put their Names on projects and hand them in
Students print out finished projects
– Grade based on accuracy as w= ell as proper note formatting (stem direction and layers)
Once students are proficient, have them transcribe two voices at a tim= e. Use the studio view to lower the volume level of the voice not being t= ranscribed. Once students are proficient with two voices, have them trans= cribe from the four-voice texture. The studio view can be used to control= the volume level of each voice.
Items to Purchase:
If using Finale 2007 it must be purchased. An educational site license= will cost approximately $100.00 per computer.
When budget should be submitted:
The budget to purchase Finale should be submitted one year in advance = for approval. If using finale Note Pad you should submit the request to t= he tech department of installation one month in advance.