Call and Response Composition Project
Sullivan Middle School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
One year of instrumental music instruction. This is their introduction to computer notation software.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 4: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
Introduction to composing using notation software. Introduction to the concept of transposition.
Each student will use their knowledge of call and response to compose musical phrases. Each student will become familiar with notepad to notate and transpose music.
1. Familiarize students with Finale Notepad; simple entry and key change feature.
2. Review call and response.
3. Down load Composition Lesson #1; practice using Finale Notepad by completing the call and response phases.
4. Explain the concept of transposition and how to change the key of the music using Notepad.
5. Each student will transpose the Lesson to concert Bb for their instrument.
The follow-up class will include student performances of their call and response melodies
The follow-up class will include student performances of their call and response melodies. Through these performances the teacher will draw attention to compositional devices such as steps, skips, and leaps. This knowledge will then be incorporated into the next composition lesson.