Composing for your instrument
Northampton Area School District
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Finale Note Pad
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students have prior knowledge of reading music notation, and knowledge of their instruments range.
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME Standards of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
NAfME Standards of 1994: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Evaluating music and music performances.
NAfME 2014: Responding
1. Students will compose their own compositions with in specified guidelines.
2. Students will perform their own compositions.
1. Review quickly, the basic music notation.
* Eighth notes, quarters notes, half notes and whole
* Review 5 notes for each instrument to use, they can
only use these 5 notes.
* Suggestions C instruments use C D E G A
Bb instruments use D E F# A B (basically
pentatonic scale in their range.)
2. Introduce students to finale note pad.
*Create new document
*How to insert and change notes and rhythms
*How to Listen to their work
*How to save if possible
3. Set guidelines:
A. They can only use these notes (what ever fits their
range in their range)
B. Eight measures long
C. Only use eighth, quarter, half and whole notes.
4. Have students create their own composition
5. Have students play composition using finale
6. Give students practice time
7. At the next lesson have them perform their work.
Did the student successful in following the guidelines?
Could the student perform their composition with a level of understanding.
Over the next few lessons expand the length introduce ABA form.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: