Crossing the Clarinet Break
Cecil County MD Public Schools
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer, Sibelius software, MIDI Keyboard,
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Appropriate performance skills on clarinet.
Prior experience inputting notation in Sibelius.
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME Standards of 1994: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
NAfME Standards of 1994: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Evaluating music and music performances.
NAfME 2014: Responding
Sibelius Worksheets “Clarinet – Crossing Break 1” and
“Clarinet – Crossing Break 2”
1. Students will perform melodies on clarinet in upper register in 6-tone diatonic range (B2 – G3)
2. Students will demonstrate reading and notating skills in the target range
3. Students will compose, share , and perform (individually and together) melodies in target register
1. Practice performing selected examples from Worksheet 1 with class. Have class and individuals perform selected examples.
2. Following teacher model, students will enter melodies (4 measures in 4/4 meter) into projected Worksheet 2, followed by class and individual performance.
Assessment of accuracy in note name recognition and fingering associations during performance activities.
1. Save selected student-created melodies, create digital accompaniments for class and individual performance.
2. Continue to extend range on clarinet with expanded similar activity.
3. Transpose student-created melodies down octave with Sibelius for simultaneous performance.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: