Improvising in Elementary Band Lessons
Northampton Area School District
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
2. Power Point
3. Finale 2007
4. Web connection with no blocks on youtube.com
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students will have performance level knowledge and skills on their instruments and notation reading skills.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 3: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
MENC 7: Evaluating music and music performances.
Webpage reference: http://misstubagiggles.tripod.com/loriprojectwebpage.html
1. Students will perform an improvised solo over c pentatonic accompaniment.
2. Students will gain knowledge of improvisation history and basic skills.
1. Introduction the concept of improvisation by demo starting or playing an example.
2. Execute the website including the power point presentation with students. (Go to Webpage and then run power point: Presentation should include: audio file examples of pentatonic scale, Visual aids of pentatonic scale, brief explanation and history of improvisation, basic skills to improvise (this big hints), video and/or audio examples of improvisation and an accompaniment audio file in C Pentatonic or 12 bar blues in C for the students to improvise over. Also written notation for the students to visually see what notes they should be playing on their instrument.)
3. Give students practice time
4. Have students perform their improvisation for you individually.
Was each student able to improvise a solo with a level of understanding?
The next lesson after warm ups play accompaniment and have the students improvise as part of warm up.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: