Individualized Chorus Rehearsal
Nicholas A. Ferri Middle School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer & Sonar sequencing software
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
This lesson is intended for students who can read choral music. Students should be able to read basic music and be able to follow two-part choral music. Students also need a basic knowledge of the sequencing software.
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME Standards of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
Written instructions from the teacher
Students will download midi files of their chorus music and will use different techniques to practice their music.
1. This lesson is for students to practice on their own in a computer/practice room.
2. With instructions in hand, have students open the Sonar sequencing software and then download the midi files of the chorus music they need to listen to. (Can be downloaded from the schools website)
3. Have students listen to the file and follow their music.
4. Have students slow down the tempo so they can sing along with the music.
5. Have students mute all the parts except for theirs and practice with it.
6. Have students mute their part and practice with the rest of the parts.
Students who have successfully finished this activity will increase their knowledge of the music practiced.
Now that students know this process, they can do the same for all of their chorus music throughout the school year.