Jazz Improv on Silent Night
Cecil County MD Public Schools
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Electronic Musical Instruments
Computer. Sibelius Software
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Instrumental performance skills appropriate to activity
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 3: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
MENC 7: Evaluating music and music performances.
Projector, “Silent Night” Improv Worksheets and Jazz Arrangement
1. Students will perform known melody in jazz style with Sibelius arrangement playback.
2. Students will practice scales from worksheet, identifying chord and non-chord tones
3. Students will practice improvising on scale tones while viewing worksheet during Sibelius arrangement playback
1. Students perform known melody in jazz style from notation with arrangement playback
c. 4-bar call and response style
2. Students practice diatonic scales from worksheet
3. Students practice ascending and descending scale tone arpeggios from each scale
4. Students practice improvising on scales and scale tones live with arrangement playback, observing chord changes
Teacher observation of improvement in fluency during performance
1. Continued exploration of call-and-response performance practices in jazz styles.
2. Practice with utilization of passing tones and non-chord tones during improv
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: