Name your notes
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Sibelius or other music writing program to create worksheets
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
This lesson is for elementary flute and clarinet students at a beginner level.
The students should be able to play and read the first 5-6 tones on their instruments.
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
Worksheet #1 Name your notes
Piano or flutes and clarinets
Students will be able to: Fill in and name the notes using worksheet #1 when led by teacher.
Students will be able to: play or sing the note names, accompanied by the teacher with or with out the piano.
Students will be able to: write or draw the notes on the work sheet when led by teacher.
1. Using the board ask students to point to the line or space of the note that they know.
2. Notice any patterns or similar notes between the flutes and clarinets.
3. Draw each note demonstrating accuracy and neatness.
4. Guide the groups in singing or performing on their instruments some of the notes on the board.
5. Erase the board
6. Hand out the work sheets and pencils and have the students complete the worksheet.
Collect all work sheets and check the accuracy.
Expand the range for each instrument.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: