Re and Hot Cross Buns
Curvin-McCabe Elementary School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer with Notation Software
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
*read simple rhythms
*read Do Re Mi on the staff
*use Kodaly hand signs and sing in solfege
*point and click with a mouse on a computer
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 1: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
Computer with Notation software
Overhead projector with a transparency containing a blank treble staff.
Teacher generated worksheet on Notation software.
Using the computer Notation software and the teacher generated worksheet, students will notate RE on the correct line or space between Do and Mi.
Using the computer Notation software and the teacher generated worksheet, students will copy Hot Cross Buns onto a blank staff.
1. Using hand signs, students will sing in solfege, Do Re Mi patterns.
2. Teacher plays same type patterns on the recorder and students identify the patterns by signing and solfege.
3. Using the transparency, teacher writes Do Re Mi in different places on the staff (moveable Do)and in different patterns.
4. Students sign and solfege what the teacher has written.
5. Teacher writes Hot Cross Buns and students identify it by signing, solfege, and lyrics.
6. Students notate Re and copy Hot Cross Buns, by completing the worksheet on the computer.
Students are evaluated on National Standard #5 upon completion of the Notation worksheet.
Playing on the recorder, xylophone, or bells, the teacher dictates a Do Re Mi pattern to the students and the students notate it using the Notation software. The placement of Do is established ahead of time.