Research of Instrument within Families.
Plymouth Community Intermediate School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
1. Teacher will need a computer with a Web browser and access to the Internet.
2. Multimedia software.
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students need a basic knowledge of the instrument they now play.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 8: Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
MENC 9: Understanding Music in Relation to History and Culture
Teacher handout with bookmarks listed, computers, multimedia software.
At the end of this project students will produce a written report about an instrument other than the one they play, but in the same family. The report should include the following information:
1. Brief history of the instrument, including a description of how it is made.
2. Basic elements of playing that instrument, including tone production.
3. How is this instrument like mine? How is it different?
4. Some information about a well-known performer of that instrument.
Using the computer lab teacher will have bookmarks (a list will be given to students who wish to work at home) and multimedia software loaded on computers. Guide students through the searching process on the internet as they gather information. NOTE: This is an introductory lesson on a semester long project.
Students will demonstrate a basic knowledge of another instrument within the same instrumental family as the one they presently play by writing a 2-3 page report.
Students may explore what styles of music can be played on this instrument, what pictures come to mind when they hear this instrument and find examples of this instrument playing these styles.