Portsmouth High School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Electronic Musical Instruments
Roland XP-10 or any synthesizer with percussion sounds
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
This lesson will be integrated in the study of different rhythm patterns. Students will have been working on putting together different rhythm patterns.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 3: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
MENC 4: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
Blank exercise sheets for students to write rhythm patterns down
1. Students will create rhtyhm patterns to be played on the keyboards using the percussion sounds.
2. Students will work together in groups of three to compose a 12 bar percussion ensemble piece.
3. Each group will perform their composition for the class.
1. Students will be placed in groups of three.
2. Each student will compose a 12 bar rhythm pattern to be played together in their group.
3. Once students have written out the rhythm pattern, they will choose a percussion sound from the keyboard and assign it to their part.
4. Once each student has chosen a sound, they will perform their piece for the class.
Each group will perform for the class and receive feedback from the other students in class.
1. Students will use a notation program to write down their rhtyhm patterns.
2. Each group will put their ensemble piece on a notation program and have the program play it back. Comparissons will be made as to how the computer interprets the rhythms as opposed to when the students performed.