Nazareth Area High School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Finale or Notepad
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students will need a basic understanding of counting rhythms. They will also need an understanding of how to use the lyrics tool in Finale or Notepad.
NAfME standard of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME standard of 1994: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME standard of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME standard of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
A computer with Finale or Notepad
Music students will demonstrate an understanding or rhythms by using the lyrics tool to input counting, rhythm syllables (Ti, Tah, Toh), or any other method used in your classroom.
1. Create a rhtyhm exercise with Finale or Notepad.
2.Have students open the file on a computer.
3. Students should use the lyrics tool to input rhtym counts or syllables. (Make sure the students understand the method you will be using)
4.Have students sing, tap, or play the rhythm.
5. Students can play the file from the computer to help them hear the correct rhythm.
1. Students can print a copy of their exercieses with the rhythm counting or syllables that has been inputted.
2. Students can also demonstrate their ability to perform the exercises either individually or as a group.
1. Similar lessons can be created for more difficult rhythms (smaller note values, syncopation).
2. Similar lessons can also be created for note reading.