Bartlett High School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer stations with Auralia
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
1) Students have learned how to write and visually identify Major, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, and Natural Minor Scales in all keys.
2) Students can navigate Auralia software.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
1) Auralia software
2) Student-made scale sheets with Major, Har. Minor, Mel. Minor, and Nat. Minor scales written in all keys (completed in a previous lesson.)
1) Students will be able to identify Major, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, and Natural Minor scales aurally.
2) Students will write short melodic examples using each of the Major and Minor scales.
1) Students will review how to write each of the scales mentioned above ascending and descending.
2) As a class, students will review how each scale sounds. Scale degrees 3, 6, and 7 will be emphasized.
3) Students will work on the scale identification section in Auralia up to Level 3. Auralia software will play scales and the student will identify which scale it is.
Level 1 uses only Major and Harmonic Minor scales
Level 2 adds Melodic Minor scales
Level 3 adds Natural Minor scales
4) Students will then compose short melodic examples using each of these scales (each in a different key) using their scale sheets as a guideline.
5) Student scored 90% or better on scale identification on all 3 levels and composed 4 melodic examples with correct pitches.
4) Student scored 80%-89% on scale identification on all three levels and composed 4 melodic examples with few errors.
3) Student scored 70%-79% on scale identification on all three levels or 80% or better on 2 levels. Student composed 4 melodic examples with several errors.
2) Student scored below 70% on one or two levels and composed melodies with many errors.
1) Student showed very little work/effort with minimal compositional examples.
Students will gradually expand their scale identification abilities with the help of Auralia–each level adds new scales (chromatic, whole tone, modes, etc.)