Sing a Song for Silent E
Elementary Music Itinerant – Scranton School District
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer with a video projector or secondary monitor for the class to watch.
Access to YouTube in school (or software to play a video downloaded from YouTube at home and brought to school.)
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
– Basic knowledge of how Silent E works to change vowel sounds.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 1: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
MENC 8: Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
Computer with internet access, video projector or secondary monitor for the students to watch. Piano/Keyboard. Video file from YouTube:
– Reinforce classroom objectives for students to learn about Silent E and how vowel sounds change.
– Students will learn the “Silent E” song.
– Teacher will discuss with the students how Silent E changes vowel sounds, but does not make any sound itself.
– Teacher will play video for students
– Teacher will review words from the video that are changed with Silent E.
– Teacher will teach students the chorus of the Silent E song.
– Teacher will ask students for other words that change vowel sounds with Silent E.
– Teacher will write words on board (SmartBoard) with/without Silent E.
– Students will sing whole song with all words from the board.
1. Students will recall words whose vowel sounds change when silent E is added.
2. Students will sing whole song by themselves, while the teacher plays the piano/keyboard.
Items to Purchase:
$0.00 (as long as a computer, video projector or monitor, and piano/keyboard are already available.)
When budget should be submitted: