Student Created Band Warm Ups & Assessment
Center Middle School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer Finale 2005 Finale Performance Assessment Manuscript paper
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students must be able to play a Bb concert scale 1 octave and understand rhythm values to 16th notes
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME Standards of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME Standards of 1994: Reading and notating music.
NAfME 2014: Creating
NAfME Standards of 1994: Evaluating music and music performances.
NAfME 2014: Responding
Finale 2005 teacher copy Finale Performance assessment download by individual students
Students will create their own rhythmical Bb concert scale by hand and then in Finale 2005 notation software. Students will then copy their scale into Finale Performance wizard. Students will print a copy & notate rhythm counts. Students will download & use Finale Performance assessment to practice their scale. Students will perform & assess their performance in Finale Performance Assessment & e-mail results to instructor.
1. Students start with 8 measures of plain manuscript paper.
2. Students will compose a Bb concert scale for their instrument in 4/4 time using quarter, eighth & sixteenth notes.
3. Students will then enter their scale into Finale 2005 using the teacher computer.
4. Teacher should pre format a Finale file with 8 blank measures in 4/4 time
5. Student will enter their scale into the finale program.
6. Once they have finished entering they should save their work.
7. Next step may have to be done by the teacher or selected students depending on amount of instruction time.
8. Student/Teacher in finale go to the file menu and open a new performance assessment wizard select their instrument.
9. Go back to the original document in finale and use the mass mover tool to select all and then paste into the new document in finale performance assessment wizard.
10. Save the document to student folder and in some format for the student to take home. (floppy disk, CD, jump drive or e-mail to them)
11. At home or on a school computer students should download Finale performance assessment from http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/features/educatortools/fpa.aspx
12. Students load their scale into the program, practice and run the assessment.
13. Students will e-mail or bring in via earlier listed format final assessment to the teacher.
Students will write various rhythms. Students will show proficiency in note writing and notation software. Accuracy of rhythms and results will be produced by Finale Performance assessment.
Students can copy their scale into additional instruments in the band score. Copies can be produced for all instrument.