Successfully Bringing GarageBand Audio Files Into Digital Performer to Create a Dynamic Accompaniment
Goshen Intermediate School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Electronic Musical Instruments
Apple E-Mac Computer OS X 10.3.9; Digital Performer; GarageBand; Interfaced Keyboard synthesizer (Korg Triton Le)
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
How to use and operate Macintosh Garage Band; I-Tunes and MOTU’s Digital Performer; how to use a Midi keyboard interfaced with computer (Korg Triton Le)
NAfME standard of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME standard of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME standard of 1994: Improvising melodies, harmonies, and accompaniments.
NAfME standard of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME 2014: Creating
NAfME standard of 1994: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
NAfME standard of 1994: Evaluating music and music performances.
NAfME 2014: Responding
Same as mentioned above
The objective is to create a dynamic accompaniment in Digital Performer by combining tracks from Digital Performer (midi) with audio tracks on GarageBand using the same meter, number of measures and chord changes.
- In Digital Performer, create a simple midi track on the instrument of your choice in 4/4 time with 1 measure each of the following chord progression: C, F, G7, C, C7, F, Bb, C7, F, G7, C, F, G7, C.
- In Digital Performer, create a second simple midi track on the instrument of your choice in 4/4 time with 1 measure each of the same chord progression: C, F, G7, C, C7, F, Bb, C7, F, G7, C, F, G7, C.
- In Garage Band, create a track using 4 bar drum loops – match them up with the I, IV, V7, I progressions used in DP – leaving modulating measures blank. Save and export to i-Tunes.
- In Garage Band, create a track using 1 measure shaker loops – match them up with the modulating measures leaving the I, IV, V7, I measures blank. Save and export to i-tunes.
- Select the first drum track in i-tunes and under the Advanced pull down menu, save as MP3 file. Drag mp3 file to desk top.
- Follow the same procedure, select the shaker track in i-Tunes and under the Advanced pull down menu, save as MP3 file. Drag mp3 file to desk top.
- In the DP document, under the Project pulldown menu, create a new stereo audio track. Drag curser through new track to select it, then drag the 1st drum track mp3 file (originally created in Garage band) from the desk top and onto the selected DP audio track. Align the track with MIDI tracks and listen. The audio beats should sink with the midi tracks perfectly.
- Follow the same procedure to bring in the shaker tracks.
- You are on the way to creating some pretty cool sounding accompaniments combining tracks from Garage Band with Digital Performer!
Evaluate as you go.
More complicated and interesting accompaniments.
Items to Purchase:
Need all equipment and software outlined above.
When budget should be submitted: