Where Mozart Began
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Eighth notes, quarter, half, whole notes and rests.
Pitches G, A, B, C, and D.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 4: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
Finale Mozart’s Beginning Template
Given instruction on how to use simple entry on Finale, students will be able to place eighth notes, quarter, half, and whole notes and rests on the staff and create their own songs with those rhythms using the pitches G, A, B, C, and D.
1. Go over the simple entry tool in the main menu of Finale and explain how to click on a rhythm and then click on the staff on what note they want the rhythm to be placed.
2. Place quarter notes and rests on the staff, four per measure.
3. Place half notes and rests on the staff, two per measure, then a combination of half and quarter notes in one measure of 4/4 time.
4. Place the pitches G, A, B, C, and D on the staff using the rhythms on the template.
5. Write a song using a combination of quarter, half, whole notes and rests with the pitches G, A, B, C, and D.
6. Place eighth notes on the staff, eight per measure, then place a combination of eighth, quarter, and half notes on the staff in 4/4 time.
7. Write a song using a combination of eighth notes, quarter, half, whole notes, and rests with the pitches G, A, B, C, and D.
Evaluate students’ templates and and have students play their pieces for the class.
Discuss the basics of composition: repetition, variation, and judicious use of silences and have students evaluate their compositions. Have students use Finale notepad to enter some of their favorite songs they are learning and discuss what makes them good compositions. Then students can create a motive and develop it into a composition using the steps they have learned.
Items to Purchase:
Download Finale Notepad
When budget should be submitted: