St. Pius X School
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Computer with Finale Notepad
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
1. The students know the letter names of the Treble Staff.
2. The students know the note value of half/quarter notes.
3. The students understand concept of steps/skips.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 4: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
MENC 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music.
1. Teacher will create the Sequence Composition worksheet, using Finale Notepad.
2. Students will be given a copy of the created worksheet.
1. To develop an understanding of a short musical phrase.
2. To be able to notate the sequence pattern, repeated at another pitch level.
3. To recognize the contour of the notation.
1. Students will hand write the continuing sequence notation on the worksheet handout.
2. All worksheets will be checked for accuracy, followed by a discussion.
3. Teacher will demonstrate how to write the notation on the classroom computer using Finale Notepad.
4. Students will be expected to complete the assignment in the computer lab, which is located directly next to the Music Room.
1. Students will be able to enter Sequence Composition using the “point and click method” in Finale Notepad on the computers in the Computer Lab.
2. Students will save their work in a file with a name to retrieve later.
2. Students will be graded on participation.
1. Once the students are able to enter notation on Finale Notepad, I will continue to introduce other patterns, note values, chords, etc. to build and continue the spiral effect of learning.