Chambersburg Area School District
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students will have “rote” knowledge of rhythms using quarter and eighth notes.
NAfME Standards of 1994 Addressed:
NAfME Standards of 1994: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
NAfME 2014: Performing
NAfME Standards of 1994: Composing and Arranging Music within specified guidelines.
NAfME 2014: Creating
Rhythm cards with 2-beat patterns created with notation software
Bucket or hat that will hold all of the cards
Students will be able to create an original rhythmic composition with quarter notes and eighth notes.
1. Teacher reviews rhythms with echoing.
2. Teacher shows rhythm while saying it. Students echo the rhythm on the card.
3. Teacher leads a discussion in what food words/sentence would fit with each rhythm and writes the class’ suggestion on the card.
4. Students take turns pulling out cards and reading them to the class. The teacher then writes the rhythm on the board (or Smartboard) with the food words.
5. Teacher guides students as they read the rhythms together as a composition with food words then rhythmic syllables.
Students will be able to create a composition using quarter notes and eighth notes and recite the rhythms with syllables.
A follow-up could be to have the students in small groups with cards and words on them. They would do the same that the class did together taking turns drawing from the pile of rhythm cards.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted: