Sing and Create Lyrics to a 2-Part Round using Notation
South Hamilton/Scotland Elementaries, Chambersburg, PA
TI:ME Technology Areas Addressed:
computer for teacher use, notation software, computer projector
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
Students will have had experience learning 2-part songs aurally.
MENC Standards Addressed:
MENC 2: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
MENC 5: Reading and notating music.
Computer files of a 2-part round without lyrics. (You will use Extracted Parts to show the melody alone first then revert to the 2-part view.)
1. Students will learn sing a part independent of other similar vocal parts.
2. Students will be able to sing a 2-part round.
3. Students will be able to follow the notation of another part and begin singing at the correct moment.
4. Students will be able to add lyrics to a song.
1. Students will learn the melody of the short round using a neutral syllable such as ooä.
2. The class is split into 2 parts and they sing their parts as a round.
3. The teacher shows the students how it looks with both parts in the notation program and uses playback so they can watch itâs progress.
4. Students sing their parts while watching and listening to the notation program.
5. As a group, students will be guided to add lyrics and a title to the round. Teacher will type them in the notation software. (This is a good way to show them how to split syllables when they compose!) Students perform their ãnew songä.
Students will perform the round in 2-parts while following the notation.
Students will be able to create lyrics to the song.
Students will be taught to sing/perform 2-part songs in various forms.
Students will add lyrics to original songs theyâve created using notation software or by hand.
Items to Purchase:
When budget should be submitted:
November or apply for a grant